In today’s fast-paced work environment, the key to unlocking peak productivity and motivation is right at home. At Velvet & Pine Home Design, we have mastered the art of creating hundreds of home offices that not only look great but also supercharge our client’s work and careers! Here we unravel the secrets to crafting the perfect professional “Work from Home” office.
1. Elevating Productivity Through Decor
Enhancing your home office involves more than merely introducing furniture and décor it’s about curating an environment that fosters optimal productivity. Here, we present valuable insights…some may seem obvious, but we promise, many will surprise you!
- Color Psychology: Select hues that harmonize with your work style. Blues and greens evoke tranquility, while reds and yellows stimulate creativity and vitality.
- Personalized Touch: Infuse your office décor with cherished personal items. These mementos can serve as motivation while imbuing your workspace with a distinctive and inspirational reminder of why you do this. Also, who or what encourages you, and reminders of your success or goals you are working towards.
- MOTIVATING FACTORS: For me personally, We LOVE Travel. Scotland is one of our favorite regulars so as motivation, I made it an obvious daily reminder in my decor. In my Podcast recording studio, I have a very different inspirational picture.. Bridget Bardot being a bad***. This reminds me to take control, find the courage, be tough and get it done! Find whatever works for you!
2. Tailoring Desk Placement to Personality Types
The strategic placement of your desk plays a pivotal role in determining your productivity and comfort levels. For example, consider these desk placement recommendations tailored to personality types.
- Extroverts: Position your desk in an open area with ample space for movement and interaction, fostering a vibrant work atmosphere.
- Introverts: Opt for a secluded corner or a quiet room to minimize distractions and nurture focused concentration.
- Ambiverts: Strike a balance by situating your desk in a versatile space, allowing you to seamlessly transition between focused work and social interaction albeit through virtual calls or otherwise.
3. Illuminating Ambiance with Music and Lighting
The interplay of background music and lighting holds immense significance in shaping the ambiance of your home office:
- Music Selection: Consider curating playlists featuring instrumental or soothing melodies for those who prefer a serene atmosphere. Alternatively, include upbeat or pop music for individuals who thrive on a more energetic pace to boost their productivity. The key is to align your music with your work style and tasks, whether it’s creating a calm focus or infusing energy into your office ambiance.
- Lighting Mastery: Invest in high-quality lighting solutions to alleviate eye strain. A well-balanced blend of natural and artificial lighting ensures a well-lit workspace conducive to productivity. Create multiple options for lighting, by adding a soft light lamp or directional lighting instead of just can or overhead lights.
4. Crafting Faux Natural Light in Windowless Spaces
For those working in windowless home offices, creating the illusion of natural light is essential.
- Mirror Magic: Strategically place mirrors to reflect existing light sources, lending a sense of brightness and spaciousness to the room.
- Artificial Sunlight: Consider the adoption of full-spectrum lighting fixtures that replicate natural sunlight, enhancing both mood and productivity. By just changing the light bulb you can completely change your mood and your energy!
- Lighting Options: There are amazing BATTERY Operated lighting options now, which we use in clients home’s all the time with fabulous results and looks. Here is a link to a few of our very favorites! There are beautiful (and affordable) wall mounted fixtures which can hang anywhere. This creates a perfectly balanced and upscale look while providing the light source needed without the cost of an electrician. Plus-perfect for rentals!
5. Thriving in Shared “At Home” Office Spaces
Coexisting in a shared workspace can be demanding, but harmony is achievable.
- Zone Definition: Establish designated work zones within the office, utilizing screens, bookcases or dividers to delineate visual boundaries, especially in a bedroom! We do not want the thought of seeing laundry during the day to take away your work focus or piles of paperwork on your desk to keep you awake at night! For a shared living or dining room, consider letting younger children create their own “work” space within the same room, to create a respect for focused work areas and to help them feel their space is important, too.
- Synchronized Schedules: Coordinate work hours with fellow occupants (family) to minimize disruptions and amplify focus. Create reading time or TV time if you have to for smaller or younger children (or Football highlights for older “children”.)
- Noise Mitigation: If necessary, invest in noise-canceling headphones to effectively block out distractions, or sound machines ensuring undivided concentration.
6. Space-Efficient Strategies for Your Professional At Home Office
Beyond aesthetics, incorporating space-saving techniques is paramount, especially when dealing with limited square footage in your “At home” office. We have come a long way, so let’s look into some of these savvy strategies for optimal workspace options.
- Multi-Functional Furniture: Delve into the world of multi-functional furniture, featuring foldable desks, wall-mounted shelves, and storage ottomans, all adept at maximizing space when not in use.
- Vertical Storage Brilliance: Harness the potential of vertical space by installing wall-mounted shelves and storage units, ensuring organization while liberating valuable floor space.
- Cable Organization Expertise: Tame the cable chaos by keeping cords and cables neat and concealed. Cord organizers and clips prevent tangling and tripping hazards, fostering a secure and clutter-free environment.
- Built-In Storage Solutions: Explore the possibility of built-in shelving units that can be tailored to your office’s dimensions, furnishing ample storage without compromising on space.
- Compact Office Equipment: Opt for streamlined and space-efficient office equipment such as all-in-one printers, slim desktop computers, and ergonomic office chairs boasting a smaller footprint. You may even consider the versatility of a floating desk, ingeniously mounted onto a wall, it not only economizes floor space but also imparts an airy ambiance to your workspace.
7. Energy Flow & Money
A Harmonious At Home Office can also play a significant role in boosting your confidence, a key element in attracting financial success. When you create a workspace that resonates with positivity and professionalism, you naturally feel more confident in your abilities.
At VelvetandPine.com we firmly believe that a meticulously planned home office design has the potential to revolutionize your work experience. I hope you have found this useful and will continue to create the perfect spaces to concur your new career goals and be ready for everything 2024 has to offer!
Linda Pierce Boosinger is an accomplished individual with a diverse background, especially in the fields of real estate investing, home renovation and Interior Design, and in multiple successful businesses.
Born and raised in the mountains of Lynchburg, Virginia, Linda entered the construction trade in 1988, in Haymarket and purchased her first property at 23. Linda then moved to the Tampa Bay, Florida where she spent 25 Years building an impressive portfolio.
Linda’s entrepreneurial spirit is evident from the success she has achieved over the years. She has created and sold over 10 companies and among others, built a robust events management business spanning from New York to L.A. Her clientele includes prestigious names such as the NFL, the Daytime Emmy’s, and even European Royalty. Additionally, in this role she made significant contributions to charitable causes, having raised money for charities nationwide. In addition, these include creating a full Bed & Breakfast and a Wedding Planning Business.
Apart from her business ventures, Linda has a passion for renovating and restoring homes. She began this as a hobby and now boasts over 55+ personal homes in her portfolio. Her expertise extends to the restoration of multiple historic “hard to sell” properties, converted to $MM Dream homes when sold. Her efforts have not only led to the successful sale of these properties but also working with local governments to create Ordinances and regulations to benefit and build opportunities within historic neighborhood. This initiative has had a significant impact on income, profit and vibrancy in these areas.
In her role as a leader in the community, Linda has served as Chair & Vice Chair (respectively) for the Historic Preservation Advisory Board and the Board of Adjustment & Appeals. Currently, she is the Founder and Chief Designer at Restoration & Interior Design Professionals and has recently launched VelvetandPine.com a new, Personal Design Advisor concept to include 15-Minute Virtual calls for those with renovation or interior design questions or concerns. Linda is also the Host of her own new show and podcast called, HOME411 Show, found on YouTube and any podcast platform around the World.
Linda and her husband Rob who served in the United States Air Force for 22 years, including multiple deployments tours moved back to Virginia in January 2023. Together, they have six children and one grandchild and a PASSION for Travel which keeps them going- Literally.